Friday, March 23, 2012

Secret Special Brownies...YUM

It is funny how life throws curve balls your way.  I love the saying that when you have a plan God laughs and shows you who really is in charge!

I had set out to do the whole food thing (which I still plan on doing). What could be more 'whole' then making my own bread, right !?! So, I  went out and bought more then our fair share of grains and wheat's to make wonderful homemade breads.  Then one week later I come to find out that my daughter is gluten sensitive and my son is dairy sensitive.  Thus, the end to traditional bread making and wonderful homemade treats and goodies.

 My son is also low in iron binding capabilities in his blood.  I needed a way to increase his iron supply.  Again, not as easy as it may seem. Vitamins don't have iron or much of it in them.  And like a lot of kids he doesn't like veggies, let alone spinach and kale.

So, I have been busy surfing the web for recipes that are both lactose and gluten free.  Not the easiest of feats but do-able.  Thanks to Pineterest I came across this brownie recipe and thought it was worth a try. I made a few tweaks to make it my own.

Being the sneaky Mom that I am, I made these brownies on the sly.  No one has guessed the 'secret' ingredient....black beans.  Believe it or not you can not taste them at all!  These brownies are high in fiber and in iron.

With the iron and fiber it is one snack I can say it is okay for him to have...lol!

****These are for gluten sensitive not celiac or gluten allergic (unless all ingredients state gluten free).

Secret Ingredient Brownies
 1 15oz can organic black beans drained and washed well
3 lg eggs
4 Tbs coconut oil
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c cocoa (I used special dark)
1 tsp vanilla
1 bag chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips)

Pre heat oven to 350 F Baking time 30-35 minutes

Rinse black beans well after draining.  Put in food processor and blend well (this is really important).  It will turn into the consistency of re-fried beans.  Blend rest of ingredients, except for chocolate chips,  for 2 minutes on high scraping side and bottom of bowl often. Mix 1/4 of chocolate chips into batter.  Pour into prepared 8x8 inch pan.  It is important not to over bake or it they will be slightly dry. When the toothpick comes out clean they are done.  While still  hot sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top of brownies, let melt slightly and spread to form a 'frosting'.  Cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment